Since its first celebration in 1621 Thanksgiving is a tradition that has been enjoyed on the fourth Thursday of every November. There are many great ways to celebrate Thanksgiving and each American family participating will have their own version to speak of.
When thinking about Thanksgiving you are probably imaging turkey, football, family, friends, parades and festivities and this is exactly what it is all about. The ideal behind this particular holiday is to remember, give thanks for and recognise the good things in life.
While there are many great ways to celebrate Thanksgiving, we have put together 5 of the pick of the best for you to consider. You never know – this could be the very best Thanksgiving yet!
- Thanksgiving Pot Luck party – people love to prepare for this special holiday. Host a party where guests can bring an experimental new dish that they would like to try on Thanksgiving Day. Open a bottle of wine, settle in for a feast of tasting and enjoy the competition and festivity that unfolds from this type of party.
- Involve the children – Thanksgiving is largely about family and by involving the children, the day can become something that everyone looks forward to and enjoys. Encourage the kids to create the centrepiece and decorations for the table.
- Games – these are absolutely great for these types of gathering. Some great games to play as a family includes Bingo, 30 Seconds, Pin the Snood on the Turkey, Jenga and so on.
- Make memories – some families enjoy doing something unusual that will keep the memory of each Thanksgiving year alive. A unique idea would be to turn your table cloth into a memento. Place a permanent marker at each place setting and allow guests to write what they are thankful for on the actual table cloth. This makes for a great keepsake and reminder of the good things in each person’s life.
- Black Friday – the day after Thanksgiving is a shopper’s delight. If you want to get out and discover some bargains, do so as a family. Hunt down those special deals and simply have fun!
It is important to be with those that you love on Thanksgiving. If you don’t stay close to family, consider booking a flight or holiday package so that you can spend this special time together. There are many great ways to celebrate Thanksgiving, but it should always be done with family.